There was yet another massive thunderstorm last night, which made me lost my internet connection. Nonetheless, I wrote my blog…here’s my post for yesterday
- 11.11.11, a boring date to remember? The absence of poppies (and a 2 minute silence) makes it easy to forget about Remembrance Day in Bali…particularly as my sleeplessness is causing me short-term memory loss… nonetheless, I was curious to find out about other notable events on the 11th of November that never ‘made it’ to ‘Commonwealth Holiday’ status.
- 1851 – Alvan Clark patents telescope
- 1860 – 1st Jewish wedding in Buenos Aires Argentina
- 1889 – Washington admitted as 42nd state
- 1918 – Poland declares independence
- 1926 – U.S. Route 66 is established
- 1968 – Maldives (in Indian Ocean) become a republic
- 1969 – Jim Morrison arrested on an airplane by FBI for drunkenness
- 1994 – Bill Gates buys Leonardo da Vinci’s “Codex” for $30,800,00
- 2000 – In Kaprun, Austria, 155 skiers and snowboarders die when a cable car catches fire in an alpine tunnel.
- 2004 – Yasser Arafat is confirmed dead by the Palestine Liberation Organization, of unidentified causes. Mahmoud Abbas is elected chairman of the PLO minutes later.
(To find out about notable events on other dates – check out: http://www.historyorb.com/events/november/11 )
- Sleep deficit: My late night yesterday greatly off-put my productivity today. In two detailed guided observations that I needed to complete and hand-in, I honestly don’t know what I was writing about… I felt like I wasn’t able to think any more…my hand was writing… but if anyone questioned me on my content / critique of someone’s quality of teaching, I know I wouldn’t be able to justify anything I’ve written. They seem to have an eye for these things though…so, I’m expecting it to bite me in the ass in the near future.
- Last teaching class with Elementary students: I’ve grown to
- know and like them now, and I feel they feel the same way with me too. As of next week, we’re teaching a higher level, so today was my last lesson with my group. I have taken a couple pictures with them, so this may come up in my blog soon. 🙂
- Friday night jazz: …not a typical Friday for me, I must say… we’ve all been working non-stop without a break, but I’m pleased to say – assuming I pass everything – in two weeks time, I will have earned myself a ticket to live and work anywhere in the world! …Surely it’s worth it, no?
- Trying to see the ‘big picture’: I raced from the library…to print… to add animations to my PowerPoint…to class… to grab an iced cappuccino…to the library…to print…to class…’functional language of discussion’… to the library… and realised: I’m in Bali! I’m in study planet now… and my brain is only focusing on micro-fragment of all that’s in front of me… but it’s trying! Trying to see more.
Sleep. Need to sleep. I’m taking my student on a round the world trip tomorrow! 🙂